The most important way to protect health is to control dust. Dust prevention is a key component of the cleanup plan:
- Water is being sprayed as required during construction activities – this is a simple yet very effective procedure to control dust.
- Tarps were used to cover excavated soil at the end of the work day.
- Soil in trucks was covered to prevent dust while transporting soil to the offsite disposal facility. Trucks transporting clean soil to the park will also be covered.
- Trucks and truck tires are being rinsed down to prevent tracking of soil out of the park onto neighboring roads. Trucks and heavy equipment are cleaned by pressure washing at an onsite wash station.
- Rinse water generated from cleaning activities is tested and disposed of in accordance with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and MDE-approved procedures.